Tuesday, September 29, 2015

III - Castiel Speaks




You know, I've been here
for a very long time.
And I remember many things. 

I remember being at a shoreline, 
watching a little grey fish 
heave itself up on the beach 
and an older brother saying,
"Don't step on that fish, Castiel. Big plans for that fish." 

I remember the Tower of Babel
All 37 feet of it, which I suppose 
was impressive at the time. 
And when it fell, they howled 'divine wrath'. 
But come on - dried dung can only be stacked so high.

I remember Cain and Abel,
David and Goliath,
Sodom and Gomorrah.

And, of course, 
I remember the most remarkable event;
remarkable because it never came to pass.

It was averted by two boys, 
an old drunk
and a fallen angel. 
The grand story. 
And we ripped up 
the ending and the rules
and destiny
leaving nothing 
but freedom and choice. 
Which is all well and good, except 
What if I've made the wrong choice? 
How am I supposed to know?
I'm getting ahead of myself. 

I consider myself the Winchesters' guardian
They taught me how to stand up
What to stand for
And what generally happens 
to you when you do.

I had no choice
I did it to protect the boys
Or to protect myself
I don't know anymore.

If I knew then what I know now.
I might have said.
It's simple.
Freedom is a length of rope.
God wants you to hang yourself with it.

So I went to an old friend for help
But watching him
I stopped
Everything he sacrificed, 
and I was about to ask him 
for more.

And so went
the long road of good intentions
The road that brought me here.

That's everything.
I believe it's what you would call
a tragedy from the human perspective.
But maybe the human perspective is limited.

I don't know.
That's why I'm asking you, Father.
One last time.
Am I doing the right thing?
Am I on the right path?
You have to tell me.
You have to give me a sign
Because if you don't,
I'm gonna do whatever I must.



0 comments:

Post a Comment