Tuesday, December 15, 2015

XVI - The Fear Onstage

I remember seeing an article about the list of things people fear the most. You may think that the first one is death, right? Well, you're wrong. Death is only at the second place. Public speaking is the number one fear of humans.



Standing on a stage, facing a large audience with cold hands and a prepared speech on mind that might be forgotten later—I may just rather melt on that spot. Or maybe just die rather than humiliate myself in front of people who will judge my every word. It takes a huge effort and bravery to give a speech to a large crowd.

But on November 27, 2015, the Asia Pacific College Speaks held Speak Sense 2, a public speaking competition with high school students from within Metro Manila as the participants in the contest. The theme was “Whether it’s the best of times or worst of times, it’s the only time we’ve got” and it was guaranteed that those students have lots of ideas to say.

It was my first time attending a competition like this, and I would be lying if I said I was not nervous for the contestant. I was a little afraid for them if they messed up or had a mental block. I couldn't imagine myself as a speaker on that stage and I was having a lot of questions on my mind on what would happen throughout the entire time.

The contestants' speeches were all wonderful, although there were some that left me bored. Some were entertaining, like that one boy who gave a speech on how hotdogs and sandwiches injured him and that one boy who had a rather attractive voice. But there were two presentations that caught my attention. The champion of the contest, Phoebe Stacey Almario from Las PiƱas East National High School, talked about her experience of living in a broken family, with nothing but thoughts of suicide and a deranged mother. It was very emotional for me and also for the audience. There was one line in her speech that I really liked: "Life is a beautiful nightmare."


Phoebe Stacy Almario

The first-runner up (I forgot his name, forgive me) shared his story of his relationship with his best friend. He said that he asked her to prom, and she said yes. Eventually, their relationship bloomed into something more than best friends. But after some time. she broke up with him. Most of the audience can relate to his experience. I cannot really relate that much to his speech but I found it cute and kind of hilarious when the judges were asking him about his feelings afterwards.

First-runner up

Each and everyone of the contestants did well and they all inspired me to face my fears when it comes to public speaking, even though I really struggle with doing speeches in our public speaking classes. This event helped not just the speakers, but the audience with conquering our fear onstage. It also proved that public speaking can be the very instrument to express ourselves and make our voice be heard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment